> Marcus> Explanation: Default in TeX is to make a large space after an
> Marcus> end-of-sentence-point. In many languages (e.g. french, german)
> Marcus> it is not usual to do so, so we have to put "\frenchspacing"
> Marcus> in the LaTeX-preamble of every document.
>
> JMarc> This is taken in account by the language setting...

I tried it now with "german" and "ngerman" -- for both it's the same:
"\frenchspacing" is not used automaticaly!

And it newer did for me. It is allways the same:
First I forget the "\frenchspacing" until I see the spacing errors.
I am using the teTeX which comes with SuSE 7.
Has anyone a system where this behavior is different??

> JMarc> Why would you want to set it explicitely?

Oh, you're right. It would be even nicer,
if this would be taken into account by the language setting.

Now I tried "french" -- this one works well.
Hmm, perhaps I should choose "french" when I write german ;-)

regards,
Marcus Beyer

http://www.Stormlight.de/lyx_de.html