On 2015-07-08, Guenter Milde wrote:
> On 2015-07-08, Richard Opheim wrote:

>> So what I want to do is to have one font that applies only to
>> English and another that applies only to Japanese.

>> "Times New Roman" is set in the Settings/Fonts/Roman dropdown box. I have
>> of course checked non-TeX fonts.

>> ... I read somewhere about the following command which I inserted into
>> the preamble.

>>  \newfontfamily\CJKfont{MS PMincho}

It would be interesting to find out where... maybe this works with Chinese
or Korean, if these languages are supported by polyglossia or some extra
package is required.

> The problem is, that polyglossia does not support Japanese! Therefore, LyX
> selects babel instead of polyglossia as language package as soon as a part
> of the document is in  Japanese language.

> What are the options then:

  * use the xeCJK package provided with XeTeX (in my Debian TeXLive
    installation, at least).

    In the LaTeX preamble, write:

      \usepackage{xeCJK}
      \setCJKmainfont{Droid Sans Japanese}

    and XeTeX will automatically use the "CJKmainfont" for Chinese, Korean and
    Japanese Unicode characters.

    + no special markup of Japanese words/text required, it just works!
    - package documentation is in Chinese.

    Source:
http://www.preining.info/blog/2014/12/writing-japanese-in-latex-part-3-simple-documents/

> * set the sans-serif or teletype(monospace) font to the Japanese font and
>   change the font family for Japanese text parts
>   (works only, if you have a "spare" font family).

    To change text properties, select the text and go to Edit>Text
    style>Custom (or similar, my LyX speaks German) and select from the
    "Family" drop-down list.

    There is also a tool-bar button to re-apply the last text-features
    setting to the selection.

> * use a "dummy" language that is supported by polyglossia.

    Polyglossia is the default language package used by LyX with "non-TeX
    fonts".

    + It supports per-language and per-skript fonts defined with

         \newfontfamily\<language>font{<Font Name>}

    - it does not support Japanese.

    Source:
http://mirrors.ctan.org/macros/latex/contrib/polyglossia/polyglossia.pdf

>   In the LaTeX preamble write, e.g.

>     \newfontfamily\telugufont{MS PMincho}

>   and in the document mark the Japanese text parts as beeing in the
>   language "telugu".

The workaround with Babel is only advisable, if you have babel support for
Japanese installed and want the Japanese text parts with the correct
language setting.

(Problem: Although LyX knows which of the two language packages "babel"
and "polyglossia" support which languagages, it does not check which
language definition files are actually installed.)

Günter