On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 23:15:00 -0400
Scott Kostyshak <skost...@lyx.org> wrote:

> Why not use use the following?
>
>   lyx --export pdf4 $mainname.lyx
>
> It creates a PDF directly so you don't have to manually run xelatex.

Why not, indeed!

Here's another one. This script is meant to recompile and tell the user
when the compile is finished. It's intended to replace LyX's
Ctrl+Alt+R, which on my heavily modified book document class gives
wrong results (it doesn't display the varying width lines on section,
subsection and subsubsection).

So, within LyX, instead of pressing Ctrl+Alt+r, I press Ctrl+Shift+g,
which is a window manager hotkey to run the following script:

#!/bin/sh

mainname=ch20

cd /d/at/books/manager_utp

inform_begin () {
        msg="I_hear_you:_$1"
        cmd="zenity --info --timeout=2 --text=$msg"
        ### Run I hear you message in bg so process runs immediately
        $cmd &
}

inform_success () {
        msg="PDF_file_$1_has_been_rebuilt"
        cmd="zenity --info --timeout=5 --text=$msg"
        $cmd
}

inform_failure () {
        msg="FAILURE_FAILURE_FAILURE!!!_Rebuild_of_PDF_file_$1_failed"
        cmd="zenity --warning --timeout=60 --text=$msg"
        $cmd
}

inform_begin   $mainname.pdf
rm $mainname.tex
rm $mainname.aux
rm $mainname.pdf
rm $mainname.log
rm $mainname.dvi
lyx --export pdf4 $mainname.lyx
#lyx --export pdf5 $mainname.lyx
if [ -f $mainname.pdf ]; then
        inform_success $mainname.pdf
else
        inform_failure $mainname.pdf
fi

You'll note the export to PDF4, which, you're right, is MUCH faster
than the alternatives, but still gives a correctly formatted PDF.

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2016 featured book: Troubleshooting: Why Bother?
http://www.troubleshooters.com/twb