Sorry for the quick follow-up, but I should note that this example is given
in the documentation (Math, Section 15.2).

What I'm asking is: is there a way to define this custom function globally
rather than on a document-by-document basis.

Also, I'm wondering if there is a way to carry out the Alt+M M procedure
automatically (as it is done with exp, sin, etc.).

Thank you,
Joel