On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 8:26 AM, Paul A. Rubin <parubi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> As far as defining them globally, a couple of options come to mind:
>
>    1. put them in a file and include it in any document where you need
>    them; or
>    2. write a module that contains them, and add it into documents as
>    needed.

Thanks for the quick reply!  Both of these approaches require
document-manipulation (global, yes, but added action that must be
remembered).

Regardless, what I'm wondering is if there is a way to add them so that LyX
makes them part of the default set (e.g., they are automatically recognized
and available among the other functions).

I could add it to the source and compile, but I was hoping for a less
heroic approach.