Am Dienstag, 24. Januar 2017 um 11:12:04, schrieb Sven Diermann
<s.dierm...@uq.edu.au>
> Dear Mr. Benko,

Hi, first of all, please keep the conversation on the mailing list.

> I am a big fan of Lyx and I thought I upgrade to the latest version 2.2.2
> after using 2.1.3.
> Now I have trouble saving the .lyx file. The error message says:
> LyX: Backup failure.
> Cannot create backup file "THE PATH WERE I WANT TO SAVE IT". Please check
> whether the directory exists and is writable.

How did you specify the backup directory?
(I suppose 'Tools->Preferences...->Paths->BackUp directory')

> It certainly exists and is writable because I just created this file 1min ago
> for test purposes.
> Instead it saves the file under a alternative name such as:
> Wanted: test.lyx
> Actual: test-qr6264.lyx

What is wrong with this file name? In the end it is backup only, not meant for
normal workflow.

> I tried to use the backup directory, however if I use it all the "\" are
> converted to "!"
> which does not help the problem in identifying the correct path.

You mean, you are using '"' chars in file names?
Normally I'd expect the path-separators to be converted to '!'.

> Thanks for your help.
>
> Best regards,
> Sven Diermann

        Kornel