Hi Scott,

Le 01/06/2017 à 22:07, Scott Kostyshak a écrit :
it could make a difference for the
out-of-the-box experience of new LyX users.

Thanks for starting this.

Of interest:

*\preview no_math
\screen_zoom 170
*\cursor_width 2
*\paragraph_markers true
\single_instance false
\load_session true
\num_lastfiles 50
*\spellcheck_continuously true
\spellcheck_notes false

* are those which I am certain should be set for new users.

Paragraph markers are necessary to see and avoid paragraph breaks before
displayed math (as experiments on live subjects have shown).

the chance of us changing a default preference are pretty low (see, for
example, [1], for
why this is complicated).

What I can see from your example is half the people wanting to enable
spellchecking by default and the other half not objecting to it, and
then nobody implementing the agreed-upon change. I hope that it can go
differently this time.

Guillaume