I have banged my head for hours against all of your instructions on how to
get my ⚓ to export from LyX to PDF XeTex.
Try it, you'll like it, but tell me in noob terms step by step how to get it
to appear in my .pdf document output.
In the place in my text where I insert  ⚓ in LyX, the symbol ⊠ appears in
the .pdf output.
Your help is appreciated.

Vilis' free anchor symbol. This is a text character which I created in
vector graphics (scalable) for text editors and word processors such as
Libre Office Writer (.odt) or Microsoft Word (.doc)

⚓ ⚓

Thanks,
Vilis