On Sun, 18 Jun 2017 03:58:22 +0000
Mr William Balthes <william.balt...@uqconnect.edu.au> wrote:

> I am using lyx to write my thesis and having major problems.
> The program continually crashes and mostly forms an emergency file
> but sometimes not. The document seems to get messed up regardless.

[snip]

> I am using Windows 10 and lyx version 2.1.
> Hoping you can give me some advice I just seem to be redoing stuff
> and it gets better just for the same thing to happen again.

Hi William,

I'm going to give you a suggestion, which if given to me, would cause
me to start a huge flame war. So please be a more accepting person than
I would be if our roles were reversed...

Do you have a way to format up a Linux computer to use for LyXing your
document? I have a feeling that LyXing under Linux would cure your
problem.

The reason I say this is that LyX has lots of problems, but crashiness
isn't one of them, or at least not on Linux. Over the last 20 years
I've used LyX, ever since LyX 1.4, on about 10 computers with about 6
different LyX distros, and except for one or two minor versions over a
decade ago, LyX was never crashy. And if I remember correctly, the
crashiness occurred back when LyX was built upon Xforms (which I
preferred), rather than Qt. To me, your symptom description sounds a
lot more like either underlying OS or hardware than LyX, and if I'm
right, you could format up a Linux box and write your document
uninterrupted.

By the way, I'd recommend you take a System Rescue CD and run all the
hardware tests on your Win10 computer. Be sure to test the RAM and the
disk.

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2017 featured book: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key