On 20.09.2018 10:31, Jürgen Spitzmüller wrote:
Am Do., 20. Sep. 2018 um 09:05 Uhr schrieb Wolfgang Engelmann <engelm...@uni-tuebingen.de <mailto:engelm...@uni-tuebingen.de>>:

    > /home/wolfgang/lyx-2.3.0/3rdparty/hunspell/1.6.2
    > I did not know that I have to compile hunspell; I had never to
    do it
> before.

You don't have to compile hunspell, but LyX must be compiled with hunspell support enabled (or, for that matter, hunspell support, which is enabled by default, can be disabled at compile time). If hunspell is enabled, LyX will check if the hunspell libraries are there, and if so, hunspell support will be enabled. This is the job of your package manager, if you use a binary.

If you compile LyX yourself, assure hunspell-devel is installed.

    p.s. could I install enchant instead of hunspell (enchant is
    apparently
    also using hunspell among others) or is lyx fixed to hunspell?

LyX supports aspell, enchant, and hunspell. You can switch the engines in preferences (if the respective engine is supported on your box).

Jürgen

    Wolfgang

Thanks Jürgen,
will try it with the 2.3.1 version of  LyX.
/you don't have to compile hunspell, but LyX must be compiled with hunspell support enabled/
you mean hunspell must be installed (e.g. with synaptics)?
Wolfgang