On 11/2/18 9:57 AM, Steve Litt wrote:

Perhaps this is why LyX becomes less relevant every year.

I don't think that peer-reviewed academic publication is going to
vanish anytime soon; and, over about the last decade, I've observed
journals continuing to transition from accepting manuscripts in the
form of Word .DOCs and the like to insisting upon LaTeX files.  LyX is
the best WYSIWY_ editor that I've found for creating such files.  That
has made it of _increasing_ relevance, though its relevance may be
alien to your particular purposes.

A WYSIWY_ editor may some day be published that is of more general
purpose and still able to generate decent LaTeX.  But, until that
time, or until academic publishers begin moving away from LaTeX, LyX
will hold its relevance very nicely.