On 13/10/2021 16:50, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
On Wed, Oct 13, 2021 at 12:13:30PM +0200, Daniel wrote:
Something that I thought while using beamer with LyX was that it seems that
it would be easier if Frames would not "hang together". I mean: right now,
if you press enter at the end or beginning of a frame, you get a new line
that is extending the same frame. Wouldn't it be easier if you get a new
frame this way and instead would just nest stuff in order to get it onto a
specific frame? So, no need for separators either. There may be issues with
this suggestion that I have not thought careful enough about but on the face
of it, it seems like a good idea to me and to solve the issues you
mentioned. What do you think?

I think the workflow you're suggesting makes the not-always-true assumption that the user
does not use the "frame" layout for the *content* of the frame, and only uses
nested layouts (e.g., itemize or standard). Did I understand right?

Yes. It is not a conservative approach. It suggest to not use the frame layout for the content because, if I see it correctly, this can be equally achieved by using a nested standard layout. So, why not have just one way of doing things. And it seems to me more consistent in that, say, itemized lists have to be nested as well within a frame which makes them appear at another level than the content of the frame when not nested but they are not. Isn't that a bit strange or misleading?

Instead, everything will have to be nested if it should go on a frame. (Of course there must be a lyx2lyx mechanism to transfer old beamer documents to the new "nesting-style".)

The workflow would in the new style would be like this:

1. Select the Frame layout to create a new frame.
2. Press enter which creates a nested Standard paragraph to add content.
3. Press enter twice to un-nest and get a Frame layout which starts a new frame.

Doesn't this appear more simple and intuitive?

What abut making it so that if the user changes the layout to "frame title", then a
*new* frame is started (i.e., LyX realizes "oh this frame already has a frame title so
the user must want a new frame)?

I still tend to prefer the way I suggested because of its simplicity (especially for new users or people who use, say, beamer not frequently) unless it has some flaw I missed.

Daniel