On Thu, Nov 17, 2022 at 07:43:50AM +1100, Gordon Watson wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
> On the subject of LyX and Mac! LyX — LyX Version 2.3.6.2 (7 January 2021) —
> is more important to me than my Monterey v12.6 Mac. (Ventura is on hold.) I
> am currently locked out of hundreds of essays with a lyx2lyx problem. SO: Is
> it time for me to buy a PC?
>
> NB: I am a heavy user of LyX, often 14 hours per day. BUT: it is a black box
> to me, and that’s how I want it to stay: for I do not expect to fiddle with
> the engine when I buy a car! And, yes, to escape my current dilemma, I’d be
> happy to BUY LyX or hire a consultant.
>
> In particular: I have no familiarity with the jargon — python, Koma,
> Linux/Unix — and I hope to remain that way
>
> If a PC is the BEST solution, then recommendations for a suitable PC — or
> ones to avoid — will be happily received!
>
> Thanks; Gordon

Hi Gordon,

Ouch! That sounds really frustrating! I do not think you should buy a new
computer just because of this. We are working on releasing 2.4.0, and I wonder
if this will somehow work for you since it has a lot of improvements compared
to the version you're using.

Wow, 14 hours a day! I wonder if there is an entry in the Guiness Book of World
Records for LyX usage?

It is our goal that you should not have to know anything about Python, Unix,
Qt, C++, etc., to use LyX. Unfortunately, in practice it's hard to achieve that
since LyX has a lot of things it needs to work well and sometimes the parts
don't line up.

Best,
Scott