Fontforge, in some special cases also inkscape. Inkscape has some advantaages. The first curves of the O, D, B, P, d, p or o have all been the same, sometimes scaled or flipped. The ampersand (et) uses a flipped 3, the ß is based on f+s.  The f is close to the old long s (which was used for example also in english printing at least until the 18th century).

But I'm actually looking for hints like: the superscripts are to bold, the accent grave is to far on the left side, I need bold italics small caps, the spacing of italic capitals (used in the headers of the standard article class)  must be corrected and so on.