Stephan,

Unfortunately I spoke too soon. There was improvement, then it slowed to a
crawl again. Worse than before if anything. The speed of the cursor is still
inversely related to the length of the paragraph.

Here’s what I have:
(base) tgarrett@tims-mbp ~ % python3 -V
Python 3.11.4
(base) tgarrett@tims-mbp ~ % which python3
/usr/local/bin/python3

For the PATH prefix in preferences:

/Library/TeX/texbin:/usr/texbin:/sw/bin:/sw/sbin:/opt/local/teTeX/bin:/opt/local/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin

Tim