On Jan 12, 2024, at 9:03 AM, Neal Becker <ndbeck...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm writing another paper for IEEE conference.  I'm using lualatex to
> produce pdf.
>
> In document/settings/fonts, I'm set to using all defaults. If I don't
> check 'use non-TeX fonts', the output looks good. If I do check 'use
> non-TeX fonts', the fonts look much thinner and to my eye not very
> pleasing.  Again I have not changed any font settings from defaults.

And that’s why they don’t look good. You need to choose one from the drop-down
list. The problem with using non-TeX fonts is that there might not be a
corresponding math font. One that does have a math font and that looks quite
nice is Cambria. If you are using MacOS or Windows you should have it on your
machine if you’ve installed Office 365 or a standalone of any of the usual
Microsoft applications. To get the corresponding math font once you’ve selected
Cambria from the drop-down, add the following to the preamble:

\usepackage{unicode-math}
\setmathfont{Cambria Math}

If you’re using Linux, there are instructions to be found on the interwebs for
installing the Microsoft fonts Cambria, Calibri, and Consolas. They are
extracted from the old PowerPoint Viewer, which Microsoft released for free and
hence (so I recall gathering from discussions in various forums) can be
extracted and used legally.

> Is there a recommended alternative set of fonts?

For TeX fonts, I really like New PX <https://tug.org/FontCatalogue/newpx/>, a
descendent of Palatino with a very nice math font. Add the following to your
preamble (and select “Default” from the drop-down font list):

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{newpxtext,newpxmath}

Vastly superior aesthetically to the long outdated (but still, sadly, oft-used)
Computer Modern default.

Chris Menzel