On Jan 12, 2024, at 3:25 PM, Neal Becker <ndbeck...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 12, 2024 at 3:15 PM Christopher Menzel <chris.men...@gmail.com
> <mailto:chris.men...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>> On Jan 12, 2024, at 9:03 AM, Neal Becker <ndbeck...@gmail.com
>> <mailto:ndbeck...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>> I'm writing another paper for IEEE conference.  I'm using lualatex to
>>> produce pdf.
>>>
>>> In document/settings/fonts, I'm set to using all defaults. If I don't
>>> check 'use non-TeX fonts', the output looks good. If I do check 'use
>>> non-TeX fonts', the fonts look much thinner and to my eye not very
>>> pleasing.  Again I have not changed any font settings from defaults.
>>
>> And that’s why they don’t look good. You need to choose one from the
>> drop-down list. The problem with using non-TeX fonts is that there might not
>> be a corresponding math font. One that does have a math font and that looks
>> quite nice is Cambria. If you are using MacOS or Windows you should have it
>> on your machine if you’ve installed Office 365 or a standalone of any of the
>> usual Microsoft applications. To get the corresponding math font once you’ve
>> selected Cambria from the drop-down, add the following to the preamble:
>>
>> \usepackage{unicode-math}
>> \setmathfont{Cambria Math}
>>
>> If you’re using Linux, there are instructions to be found on the interwebs
>> for installing the Microsoft fonts Cambria, Calibri, and Consolas. They are
>> extracted from the old PowerPoint Viewer, which Microsoft released for free
>> and hence (so I recall gathering from discussions in various forums) can be
>> extracted and used legally.
>>
> Thanks!  I am on linux (fedora).  I found instructions to install msfonts.
> Now I have Cambria, but it seems not Cambria math?
>
> Package fontspec Error: The font "CambriaMath" cannot be found.

Note there’s a space in the \setmathfont{Cambria Math} declaration, in case
that’s relevant.

> Any hints?
> In /usr/share/fonts/mscorefonts I have
>   -r--r--r--. 1 root root 331916 Sep 26  2006 cambriab.ttf
>   -r--r--r--. 1 root root 336812 Aug  9  2006 cambriai.ttf
>   -r--r--r--. 1 root root 326024 Aug  9  2006 cambriaz.ttf
> (along with others not starting with 'cambrai’)

Hm, here’s everything I’ve got on my Kali Linux installation:

╭─cmenzel@kali-linux-2022-2 ~
╰─$ locate cambria
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/vista/cambria.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/vista/cambriab.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/vista/cambriai.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/vista/cambriamath.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/vista/cambriaz.ttf
/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/fonts/mkiv/cambria-math.lfg
/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/fonts/mkiv/cambria.lfg
/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/fonts/mkiv/type-imp-cambria.mkiv

In case you didn’t use the instructions I followed, give →THESE
<https://kodejava.org/how-do-i-install-calibri-font-in-ubuntu/>← a try.

-chris