On 1/17/24 07:56, Hongyi Zhao wrote:
On Wed, Jan 17, 2024 at 1:28 AM Richard Kimberly Heck
<rikih...@gmail.com> wrote:
On 1/16/24 08:02, Pavel Sanda wrote:
On Mon, Jan 15, 2024 at 03:56:56PM +0800, Hongyi Zhao wrote:
For me now, I can clone via

   > git clone git://git.lyx.org/lyx.git

anonymously. Does that work for you from the command line?
It also works for me, but the speed is very unstable, as shown in the
attached screenshot. So, I want to clone through my local socks5 proxy
running on 127.0.0.1:18888, but don't know how to achieve this goal.
Speed should be matter of initial clone only. Once you have it locally,
fetching updates are reasonably small even for connection speeds like 10kb/s...

What we could perhaps do on our part is to clone master branch, compress
it into single file and put on the http://ftp.lyx.org/pub/lyx/devel/
with short readme explaining the situation.
We have currently two chinese mirrors, so there is a good chance for you to get
the initial clone very fast and then continue by fetching from original source
(US, Oregon).

@Riki: we used to have something like this on the ftp in the svn-git times.
ATM it should be enough just to do clean clone, take only .git directory,
tar.xz(*) it, create signature and upload to ftp.
I can create some explanation on our web...
Yes, I was thinking something like that, too. Even if it were only
updated once a year, it'd still make a huge difference.

I tried cloning the repo on GitLab (with the idea of instituting
automatic updates), but it did not work. I'm guessing it might have
timed out.
Why not just move the Git repository to Github, GitLab, and other free
git-based code hosting platforms?

The main reason has to do with our bug server, and the way it's integrated with git. But we also don't want to depend upon an external organization that way. We've been burned before when some such organization decides to change its policies, and what once was free no longer is.

Riki