On Mon, 2024-01-29 at 21:46 -0500, Steven Paulson wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I recently upgraded LyX to v2.4-RC1. Previously, I was using v2.4-
> beta3 without problems. However, ever since v2.4-RC1, I have failed
> to open all my LyX documents previously created under beta 3, showing
> me the "LyX cannot open OLDER version of documents" error. Right now,
> I cannot seem to locate the beta 3 installer from anywhere, so I went
> back to v2.3.7 from the official website, but got the "LyX cannot
> open newer versions of documents" error for those documents. I am
> stuck in between v2.4-RC1 and v2.3.7.
>
> I cannot understand why the newer version 2.4-RC1 cannot open an
> older version:
>
> ~/Documents/example.lyx is from an older version of LyX and the
> lyx2lyx script failed to convert it.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Steven

What operating system are you using?

The only reason to get that type of error is to have a mix between
different versions installed. Because RC1 has a more recent conversion
tool (lyx2lyx) and so that error should not happen.

In 2.4 what do you get on Help->About LyX (I am interested in "System
directory" entry.

Regards,
--
José Abílio