On Tuesday 12 April 2005 11:06 pm, Matej Cepl wrote:
> Paul Medwell wrote:
> > Although it is possible to create the bib file entirely by hand in a
> > text-editor, you may find it easier to use a bib file editor. I use
> > tkbibtex, although emacs has a BibTeX editor mode and is probably just as
> > good, if not better. There are a heap of others out there as well.
>
> Hi, Steve,
>
> I have to support this. Although I do not like Emacs (to say it mildly) and
> do not have it installed, I have to admit that from among
> BibTeX-in-texteditor, its bibtex-mode is _by far_ the best what I've seen,
> and particularly vim's bibtex mode is just a joke. Alternative to Emacs
> bibtex-mode are different BibTeX-as-database programs -- tkbibtex, or (what
> I've used) pybliographer, or Java jabref. You will be certainly much better
> with them, than just with vim (although that's what I use most of the time
> -- sometimes I use Kate).

Wow -- I'm really in the dark here, having never published a thesis. I
downloaded a shellscript called tkbibtext, and it appears to (sort of) work.
I was able to save a .bib file with real information.

Now I have some questions...

What is a site key, and what should I put in there? A number? A letter? A
string? I assume it needs to be unique.

Should the author be Lastname, Firstname MiddleInitial?

Is the year the year copyrighted?

Why is there no provision to state a page number or chapter number?

If it's a website, what reference type do I use. tkbibtex has all sorts of
reference types, but "Website" isn't one of them?

When referencing a website, do I put its URL in the URL field?

What are CROSSREF, CODE, ANNOTE and ABSTRACT for, and do I need to use those
just to give credit to the original source of the material?

Sometimes I reference a whole book, and sometimes I reference a tiny piece of
text out of the book (within the bounds of fair use). How do these differ as
far as the bibiliaography?

I'll probably have more questions -- this is entirely new to me.

Thanks

SteveT