On May 1, 2005, at 10:48, Andre Poenitz wrote:

On Sun, May 01, 2005 at 06:58:12PM +0200, Tim Michelsen wrote:
./configure --with-version-suffix=1.4
I get this error:

checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C
compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.

Do I need to install any package?

Well, a C and C++ compiler, of course.

Last time I saw that error message I had gcc installed, but the
the partition containing the installation was mounted 'noexec'.

Your (Tim's) best bet is to follow instructions. The file 'config.log' should have more detailed information about what went wrong. If you can't figure it out from there, post the (tail of the) log, so others can have a look.

Regards,

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large