--- "Paul A. Rubin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> John Kane wrote:

> Hang on.  The ~2.8 MB file in Stephen's directory
> listing is probably
> the installer, which you don't need once
> installation is done (and which
> wouldn't necessarily be in that particular directory
> even if you did
> keep it).

Yes, Steven told me that.

>.  To verify your MinSYS
> installation, you can open a DOS
> window and type 'sh' at the command prompt.  This
> should start a shell
> and give you a prompt that looks like 'sh-2.04$'
> (though possibly yours
> will have a higher version number).  If it does,
> type 'exit' to get out
> of the shell.

Works fine

> Assuming sh works, you might try running the
> configure script in the DOS
> window.  Change to the directory C:\Program
> Files\LyX\Resources\lyx,
> verify that a file named 'configure' is there, and
> then execute 'sh
> configure'.
>That runs the configuration script.

Does not work
The file is there, all 43K of it, but “sh configure”
simply gives me an error message
'sh' is not recognized as an internal or external
command, operable program or batch file.

 >If not, try
> executing 'latex --version' at the command prompt
> and see if you get a
> version message.

Yes it looks fine. I got a compete version message.
> If not, there's a problem with
> your MiKTeX installation.
So hopefully this is okay. It takes an hour to
install.

As an update, I deleted, uninstalled, (and bleached
and scrubbed) everything again this morning and
reinstalled everything with LyX at c:\LyX  . I am
still getting the error message that the textclass
“XX” is not found but I now at least can see them in
the TeX Information list.  All three categories are
displaying and I cross-checked as Steven suggest at
DOS level to confirm that the files (at least the cls
files) are in their directory.

I am unable to print. I did manage to export an ASCII
file!!.

I finally managed to download GSview and it is now
refusing to install and giving me the error message:
Failed to add PS file association

Thanks for all the help.