Wolfgang Engelmann wrote:
After reconfiguring LyX, you should be able to select the .bst file from
the drop down list of choices.  Unless you are using a Springer style
file, there is no need for \usepackage{springer}.

Jean-Marc,

(Not unless my mother was kidding me all those years.)

I followed your advice (thanks) and got this error message:

LaTeX Error: File `babelbst.tex' not found.
 \input{babelbst.tex}
                        ^^M
*** (cannot \read from terminal in nonstop modes)

Google tells me:
No need for creating babelbst.tex anymore. Changing language .mbs option
in makebst resulted in a working .bst file.

But how do I change language .mbs option in makebst?

Disclaimer: I have not done this myself (being an English-speaker) (although the Brits might disagree). Theoretically, if you run latex against makebst.tex and choose merlin as the master file, you should be asked what language to use. The default choice is merlin (which means English), but you should answer german.mbs, spanish.mbs or whatever language you need. If you want English, the default should be merlin.mbs and it should work. (There is an english.mbs if you want to try that.)

Does that help?

/Paul

In the .bst file is e.g.:

%% merlin.mbs (with options: `babel,ay,nat,vonx,nm-rvx,jnrlst,keyxyr,dt-beg,yr-par,yrp-x,note-yr,jttl-rm,vnum-x,num-xser,jnm-x,btit-rm,bt-rm,bkpg-x,blk-com,com-blank,in-col,injnl,fin-bare,pp,ed,abr,ednx,mth-bare,ord,jabr,amper,xand')

Wolfgang