LB wrote:
Yes, moving the file test.lyx to C:\ solves the problem. The path to test.lyx is fairly long. It's located five directories deep. The path consists of 68 characters, including C: and "\", plus the file name. I have changed figure name to be only one character long, but that did not help.

Hmm. I moved it to a directory seven levels below C:\ with a total path length of 159 characters, and it worked for me.

This is what I get when I run "set" from command line:

[...]

Does not look like a lot of variables?

No. In fact, it's about 935 characters total; my environment (also Win XP) is over 1800 characters.

I saw your other post that this worked in 1.4.1 (presumably from the same deep directory). So there is something in the way LyX 1.4.2 shells to the graphics conversion script that has changed and is related to the problem. We also know that it works on my system and not on yours, and my environment and command path are both a lot messier than yours.

One other difference I notices is that I have the Ghostscript bin and lib directories on my system command path, and you don't. You must have them (as do I) in LyX Tools->Preferences...->Paths->PATH prefix, which LyX attaches to the command path when it shells out to a script. (In my case, they end up on the path twice, which is harmless.) I don't suppose that adding them to your path fixes the bug? (An easy way to try this on a temporary basis would be to add the line

SET PATH=C:\<path to GS>\bin;C:\<path to GS>\lib;%PATH%

to the lyx.bat file, prior to the start command.)

I have no idea how a couple of environment variables and the length of the path to the target file can be interacting, other than if they're both being written to a common buffer somewhere (which is overflowing), and that seems rather unlikely given that I would be putting more stuff in the buffer and not seeing the problem.

/Paul