For reference for other users:

I installed  Lyx 1.4.2  (with version Lyx-1.4.2-1.exe installer).
Unfortunately it completely fails to start. A cmd window start and disappear. Lyx does not start.

Running it from cmd window here is the message:

 Exception caught:
boost::filesystem::is_directory: "D:\msys\home\lyx-142\build\installprefix\Resources\chkconfig.ltx": Le périphérique n'est pas prêt.
 Unable to determine the system directory having searched
       C:/appli/LyX14/bin/C:/appli/LyX14/Resources/
Use the '-sysdir' command line parameter or set the environment variable LYX_DIR_14x to the LyX system directory containing the file `chkconfig.ltx'.

The fix is obviously to modify the launch script lyx.bat to add the -sysdir option to the executable as following:

C:\appli\LyX14\bin>more lyx.bat

@echo off
SET LC_ALL=en_EN
SET AIK_DATA_DIR=C:\appli\LyX14\aiksaurus
start "LyX" "C:\appli\LyX14\bin\lyx.exe" -sysdir c:/appli/LyX14/Resources %*

I am wondering why it works for other people.

Regards,
serge