"Paul A. Rubin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit dans le message
de news: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Paul Schwartz wrote:
>

>> Sorry to disturb again and coming back so far but when I installed 1.3.7,
>> I used the "uninstaller" program supplied with the former version to
>> uninstall it.
>> Now if I want to uninstall 1.3.7, I still have a uninstall program inside
>> 1.3.7.
>> However in 1.4.1, I just have an icon and nothing else and I am sure that
>> it is far better to uninstall 1.4.1 ahead of installing 1.4.2 or 1.4.3.
>
> Personally, I have 1.4.1, 1.4.2 and 1.4.3 installed in parallel, with no
> major problems.  (They all share configuration info, so preference changes
> in one apply to all, but to date I have not found any conflicts there.)
>
> Interestingly, I have uninstallers for 1.4.1 and 1.4.3, but not for 1.4.2.
>
>> My question is how to unistall it properly (the one supplied with the
>> complete version installer for windows without compiling). May I use the
>> unistaller supplied with 1.3.7 or have you an better suggestion.
>
> The 1.3.7 uninstaller is unlikely to know what to do to uninstall 1.4.1.
>
> Have you checked Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs to make sure that
> 1.4.1 is not listed there?  If it is, you should be able to uninstall it
> from there.
>
> I just crawled my registry and didn't find anything particularly funky
> associated with the directory in which I have 1.4.1 installed.  So if I
> wanted to delete 1.4.1 and lacked the installer, here's what I would do:
> install 1.4.3 first (in a different directory) and make sure it works (!);
> note down the path to 1.4.1 and then delete its root directory and all
> subdirectories; then either (a) quit while I'm ahead and live with a
> little harmless clutter in the registry or (b) run a registry cleaner
> program that hopefully would delete any keys referring to the now
> nonexistent 1.4.1 directory or (c) run regedit, search for all references
> to the deleted directory and manually delete them.
>
> HTH,
> Paul

Thanks for the detailed comments.
Regarding  Add/Remove Programs, you are right, it can be done from there,
however when there is an uninstaller in a program, I do prefer to use it.
To go a bit further (pse don't sigh):
In fact there is so many "aside" programs with LyX that I am always afraid
to miss one and for that reason, till today, each time I have fully update
(reinstalling everything).
But, if I follow you properly, when you have got one installation, let us
say 1.4.1, you just need to install 1.4.3 and keep former Miktex,
ImageMagick, Ghostscript, Aspell ( I am not sure ) and GSView or to update
them directly.
As such I should have just to download LyX 1.4.3. Am I correct ?

Thanks
Paul