Sven Schreiber wrote:
[topic shifted from bug to user interface, so I'm starting a new thread]

Helge Hafting schrieb:

Btw, some time ago somebody suggested to let lyx create new tabulars
without any lines by default. I think that's a great idea. That can't be
so difficult to implement, right? Do we need a vote?

There were much discussion - and simply changing lyx to no-line
tabulars was turned down for "changing default behaviour".

I tried to search the devel archives (not very easy actually) and found
many people in favor of no lines, and essentially only Lars (lgb) being
cautious.

<SNIP>
Lars, excuse me to bother you, but why exactly do you think that
changing these defaults is bad? Do you know of many users that fiercely
demand their vertical lines?

<SNIP>
May I also point you to the discussion that happened on the user list (shortly after the one on the dev list)?

http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-users@lists.lyx.org/msg48442.html

Also as was stated in the following two messages, and I think in the message you were replying to, an either or of lines/nolines as default is a ~50% split. I would think any dev who wanted to remain _mostly_ sane in such a situation would stick with the trouble s/he knows than to change a default, until a better solution is actually implemented, as with the annoyance s/he knows it is easer to just point to bug# and say _someone may_ work on it than to start fielding questions from the other camp.
http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-users@lists.lyx.org/msg48455.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-users@lists.lyx.org/msg48464.html

So if there is someone with the skill, inclination and time perhaps the easiest _half_ baked solution would be to make a lyxrc.defaults file item which indicates '\tabular_lines_on true|false' and test for that setting to run either the current default tabular create function or the new no line tabular create function.

The above is only my opinion, and I am only a, sometimes _mostly_ sane, developer of _other_ software. :)
--
Todd Denniston