Wolfgang Engelmann wrote:
How do I set the french LANG for starting lyx?

if I try
 LANG=fr_FR;lyx &
I get:
OkApplyCancelReadOnlyPolicy: No transition for input SMI_OKAY from state
INITIAL
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
        LANGUAGE = "",
        LC_ALL = (unset),
        LANG = "fr_FR"
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.

I do not know how to check and install
`are supported and installed on your system´
This depends on the operating system.
The various linux versions has different ways
of supporting languages. On
debian linux, (and possibly also ubuntu) use
dpkg-reconfigure locales
Run this command as root, select fr_FR.
A french user interface should work after this.
I also tried
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ LANG=fr
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ lyx&
[1] 4004
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ Locale fr_FR could not be set

I am preparing an english and a french translation of a german book of mine and would like to switch between the three lyx files.
You don not need to set LANG in order to _write_ in different languages!
All you need to do, is the menu Document->Settings in LyX, and
select the correct document language there. (Your latex should also
support hyphenation in all the languages concerned, but latex usually
do that these days.) Installing spellchecking dictionaries for the
languages you use is also a good idea.

Setting the LANG variable is only for changing the LyX user interface.
If you successfully set LANG to fr_FR, then LyX will give
you menus and dialogs in french instead of what you usually have.
This has no effect whatsoever on the text _you_ write though, use
document->settings for that.

Somebody told me:
What about defining an alias in your .bashrc file
alias lyxe="LANG=en lyx"
should do what you want

but where is the .bashrc?Do I just create it?
Yes, you just create it.

Helge Hafting