On Nov 16, 2007, at 12:00 PM, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

Bennett Helm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

The standard behavior on Mac is to have forward-word jumps to the end
of the current word, and backward-word jumps to the beginning of the
previous word. That's what I'd want.

This is what emacs does. In the meantime, I have implemented the other
possibility, the one that works like PC programs. I would be
interested to see people test it and tell me whether it is better than
the current one.

Implementing the mac behaviour via either a hidden pref or a parameter
to the lfun (to use different bindings) would be possible.

Clearly you won't satisfy everyone with a single choice, and I think having too many choices is bad for most users. So this seems like a good compromise.

Another difference from Mac standard: in jumping forward/backward by
words, LyX treats an apostrophe as a word break. Thus, in jumping
forward by words in "I don't", LyX will go from after the "I" to
after the "n" to after the "t", whereas Mac standard is to go
straight from after the "I" to after the "t".

What does the mac do when a word is enclosed by apostrophes?

I think this is an accurate general description on Mac:

1. Most punctuation (except for apostrophes) signal word boundaries. Thus, "lyx.app" gets treated as two words, but "don't" is treated as one. Similarly, "'hello'" and "'"hello"'" are treated as one word.

2. Punctuation is not considered a part of a word, and word jumping is always to the beginning or end of a word.

Thus, forward-word jumps starting from the first character would leave the cursor in these positions: "lyx|.app", "don't|", "'hello|'", "'"hello|"'", etc.

3. When jumping by paragraphs, every <return> is treated as a paragraph boundary, and moving forward by paragraphs puts the cursor at the end of the paragraph (after *all* characters -- including punctuation and spaces), whereas moving backward by paragraphs puts the cursor at the beginning of the paragraph (before *all* characters). (Note that this is different from current LyX behavior.)

Bennett