On Friday 16 November 2007, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I've found several references through Google search on how to create an
> a0poster.layout, but I haven't found any tips on what LyX tools to use to
> create a poster.
>
> Should I use minipages and fixed floats for graphics and tables, or, should
> I use columns? Any special handling of fonts? What about background
> decorations or watermarks?
>
> Or, should I design a one-page (A4) landscape APA article layout and use a
> tool like psa4toa0.sh to enlarge it?
>
> Anyone have an example a0poster that they produced with LyX that they could
> share?

Mateo,

Last time I had a poster paper to present I spent quite a while researching
the possibilities using LyX, and ended up using Scribus.  But the best
solution depends on exactly what you want to put on the poster.  The more
complicated it gets, and the more graphics you want to use, the harder it
becomes to use LyX (or LaTeX).

No matter what software you use, there is a lot to be said for generating the
poster at a manageable size such as A4, then enlarging it at the plotting
stage.  That way you don't put things in that are too small to be viewed
properly on the poster when it is displayed.  My posters are plotted using
SDI plotting software which allows any desired scaling as the poster is sent
to the plotter, so no specific tool is needed to enlarge it.  Many other
printer and plotter drivers can do the same.

If I did use LyX, I would most likely use minipages to control layout -- but
even with them, it's hard to get things looking right.
--
Les