I just downloaded and installed LyX via the Windows installer. I've used LaTeX before (not recently), but never LyX. In playing around with the LyX Tutorial, I find that after changing some text to red or green and then generating DVI, I get errors such as this,

  LaTeX Error: Undefined color `RED'.

with this explanation when I click on the message (yes, the explanation really does refer to green, not red, notwithstanding the message above):

  \chapter
                {\textcolor{green}{Getting started with \LyX{}}}
  You're in trouble here.  Try typing  <return>  to proceed.
  If that doesn't work, type  X <return>  to quit.

Also this,

  LaTeX Error: Undefined color `GREEN'.

with this explanation (and yes, it really is formatted like this):

         urrently, undo is limited to 100 steps. Undo also doesn't work for
  You're in trouble here.  Try typing  <return>  to proceed.
  If that doesn't work, type  X <return>  to quit.

The resulting DVI has the appropriate colors on the appropriate text, so I don't know what the LaTeX errors are complaining about.

Furthermore, I find that I have to wait at least 10 seconds for Yap to update its display after generating new DVI, and this is on what should be a pretty fast machine: a dual-core newish Thinkpad with 2GB of RAM. Sometimes I've had to wait over 30 seconds for Yap to update.

My current goal is to evaluate LyX's suitability for a book I'll be writing. The LaTeX errors when using colored text and the long delay for Yap to update its display don't give me a very favorable initial impression. Are these issues simple normal newbie bumps in the road, or are they more likely indicators that I'm probably going to run into even more problems in the future?

Thanks,

Scott