On Mar 22, 2010, at 11:52 AM, Richard Brown wrote:

I do > Insert External Files > PDF and select my pdf. I add the pages
options for all of the pages (there are 2). Lyx burbles a little, and then
spits the error message at me:
error converting to loadable format. The file was prepared by a friend on
Windows from a  Sibelius music notation file.

If I examine the pdf file properties  I see the following:
Format PDF-1.4
Producer GPL Ghostscript 8.70
Creator PDFCreator Version 0.9.9

Export to PDF should work fine, it is just the preview.
If you have ghostscript version 8.70, then the issue is a bug in gs.
Here is a workaround from a previous post

This seems to be a result of the bug reported here
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/imagemagick/+bug/487637

Copy the script convertDefault.py from /Applications/LyX.app/Contents/ Resources/scripts

Comment out the lines
if sys.argv[1][:4] == 'pdf:' and (version >= 0x060206 or gm):
opts = '-define pdf:use-cropbox=true ' + opts

On a Mac, the script goes in
/Users/username/Library/Application\ Support/LyX-1.6/scripts