Cristina,

I use jab-ref to manage my bibliographies for documents I create with LyX on
Windows XP and Windows, and occasionally Kubuntu. I have personally never
tried to configure the LyX pipe stuff or any of that.

I do exactly as Richard suggests, "Insert>Lists/TOC>BibTeX Bibliography,
then select the BibTeX file and whatever bibliography style you want to use.
"

That does everything I need. Then, if I want a citation, I just use
insert>citation. I'm guessing the extra stuff is to insert the citation
while in jab-ref or something. I've never seen the need though. For this
part, it's always worked for me right out of the box on both Windows
installations as well as Kubuntu.

I do have to admit though, I had trouble figuring out how to add citations
at first, but once I understood that I had to actually place the
bibliography in the file first, it made a lot of sense.

Jacob