On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 11:18 PM, stefano franchi
<stefano.fran...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
>   I have decided to take the plunge and start to use a revision
> control system for all or almost all my projects from here on.

I tried several times to start using SVN for my documents and
projects, but always had to back down since, well, it's too much
overhead. Unless you're doing something fancy and need advanced
features of SVN or GIT, I could suggest a simpler solution.

At the moment I use SpiderOak [1], which is similar to Dropbox but
much more flexible. You can imitate revision control systems by
letting SpiderOak automatically backup a given file or the files from
a given folder (this removes the overhead of manually performing the
commit / push). SpiderOak keeps all historical versions (only the
diffs), so they're easily available if anything goes unexpectedly,
under the 2GB limit of free storage. For major changes I also keep a
change.log file, which I edit and save at the same time as the main
file; this way I keep a log of major modifications, and let SpiderOak
take care of backing up most (and minor) modifications automatically.
[1] http://alternativeto.net/software/spideroak/about

This is probably a matter of habit, but it seems to be working for me
so far. It's also easier to setup and understand than most RCS.
Additionally you can also set up the sync features, to automatically
fetch on a different system (it's cross-platform) the latest versions
of your files. This again removes the overhead of manually checking
out / pulling from the SVN / GIT server. But then, for collaboration,
this is probably not the answer (although you could investigate the
sharing features of SpiderOak).

Cheers
Liviu

--