On 2011-04-06, Liviu Andronic wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 2:23 PM, Neal Becker <ndbeck...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm trying lyx-2.0.0rc2.

>> Do I still need to keep manually adding \usepackage{lmodern} to get
>> vector fonts?  I would have hoped that if this wasn't the default by
>> now,

> There have been several lengthy discussions on this topic, and the
> consensus was that it made little sense to depart from LaTeX defaults;
> people unhappy with the default font should choose a different one.

No consensus could be reached, therefore no change.

LyX already departs from LaTeX defaults by changing the font encoding
from OT1 to T1. (See the line
  \usepackage[T1]{inputenc}
in the latex source's header.) With the LaTeX default OT1, you would get
vector fonts by default, but also "faked" accented Latin letters (like
öäü).

BTW: installing the CM-Super fonts would give you the CM-Super vector
font version of CM also with T1 font encoding automatically.

>> at least I'd find an option on the document settings.

Lmodern is supported by the GUI already in 1.6.

I recommend activating this in your default template file(s).

People never requiring accented Latin letters could also configure the
font encoding setting in the preferences.

Günter