On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 11:39 AM, Sam Lewis
<stroboscopicallyconflu...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>> LyX already departs from LaTeX defaults by changing the font encoding
>> from OT1 to T1. (See the line
>>   \usepackage[T1]{inputenc}
>
> Is this not absurd for a default setting: I.e. T1 and CM? If the majority of
> users supposedly not primarily write in English, should it not be T1 + LM? If
> however most write in English should it not be OT1 + LM? Why bother with CM?
> Or
> am I missing something?

The status quo makes little sense for either case, but it's quite hard
to come up with a 'one size fits all' setting. The trouble is that
LaTeX classes can define default font settings, and they are not
universally CM. This means that pre-selecting LM is not a panacea: it
would distort default settings of classes that default to some non-CM
font.

But this was discussed at length. Please search the archives. Regards
Liviu

--
Do you know how to read?
http://www.alienetworks.com/srtest.cfm