This is a strong restriction.
With this, in a document with thousand of pages I will obligated to generate
all pages?
I do not agree.

> > Actually, I regularly compile stand-alone child docs (to save time on
> > checking the appearance in the output). I have set up a "stand-alone"
> > branch for math-macros and bibliography and I can live with the
> > question marks in the references.

This is another subject, but let's understand the question marks are a
problem to be solved too.
I think it would be good if LyX doesn't generate so much errors, but I vote
against the generation of documents with "wrong" content (i.e. the question
marks).
Otherwise, LyX could not stop on the first error, as it already do today.
That is, currently, if a error is found, LyX just stops and warns the user.
Even if the document can still be generated by LaTeX.
We didn't define LyX to "just continue and see what you get" because we
don't want this, right?

In the worst case, I'm in favor of a warning to the user about these "wrong"
things.
One reason is because I already submited a work with those "??". My fault
indeed, but LyX could warn me anyway. ;-)

> > Just make it very clear in the documentation that parent-document
> > features are non-available in the child if compiled stand-alone (without
> > include feature) even if rendered in the LyX window - this is a feature.
> >
> We did establish that this is a change from 1.6.x, where parent macros
> are written to the child. That was not intentional, and the behavior
> depends upon the setting of EXPORT_IN_THREAD. We can keep it as it is,
> but then we should make it consistent (and could remove useless code).

There are two things to note here:
1st: LyX interprets macros very well. It doesn't matter where they are
(child/master/etc). If the documents are linked, LyX handles it in the
screen. Fact. IMO, if it handles the content to the screen it should handle
to the output.

2nd: AFAIK this feature was supported in later versions (I did not tested by
myself, but people in this thread said it work). I won't be surprised if
someone decide to stay with LyX 1.6 just because this "feature" was removed.
Or just because "I am not able to compile my old doc anymore" or any other
complaints.

Cheers,
---
Diego Queiroz