On Tuesday, December 13, 2011 08:01:45 AM Rainer M Krug wrote:
> Hi
>
> first my apologies for this OT topic, but I rahter ask here then go
> into another forum where I have no idea who knows what.
>
> So please reply off-list (unless you think this is on topic).
>
> I am going to write a guidelines book (management, alien invasive
> species, South Afica) which will be around 50 pages (I guess). To
> make it available in printed form as well, I am planning to
> publish it in something like print-on-demand, but would also make
> the pdf available for free download (or a very low cost). The
> guidelines will likely be read mostly in South Africa.
> In addition, these guidelines should have an ISBN number.
>
> I will obviously writing the guidelines in LyX.

LyX is obviously the best authoring tool for this.

I'm reading your preceding post. If I'm reading you correctly, profit
isn't a major motive, because you're giving away your PDF free or at
very low cost (free would be a lot less headaches if profit isn't a
major motive).

The free or cheap PDF constrains what you can charge for the print
book. Nobody's going to pay $29.95 for the print version of what they
can get free.

You can do print-on-demand and pay a lot of money for each book, or do
a 200 book short run and pay less but have inventory clogging up your
life. If you take possession of the books, you pay shipping twice (one
from the printer and one to the reader). Fulfillment of print book
orders is a hassle. Wrap it, take it to the post office, mail it. One
out of 100 claim they never got it. These hassles are worth it if
you're selling the book for $29.95, or $42.50 like the most expensive
of my print books, but maybe not if you're selling it for $9.95, and
definitely not if it's $4.95.

What I'm getting at is this: Are you sure you want a print version at
all? If you have a PDF, plus maybe you distribute it as a few flowable
text eBook types like Kindle, iPad, Nook, generic EPUB, you'd get it
out to a lot of people. I've never been to Africa, but I hear in South
Africa and Africa in general, a lot of people have cell phones due to
a lack of other infrastructure like cable and landline phone. I'm
pretty sure that as long as your images are inline and not to the
right or left of text or other images, images come out OK on a
flowable text eBook.

By the way, I LOVE the whole concept of invasive species. Living in
Florida, USA, I see a world teeming with life, with plants growing on
plants growing on other plants. I don't know if they're foreign, but
we have these "air potato" vines that climb trees from the ground all
the way to the top. We have Spanish Moss hanging from every tree, and
little mini-vines that completely cover our decorative plants and
would steal all their light if I didn't rip them off. And then of
course we have the fire ant
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_imported_fire_ant) that came here
from Brazil in the 1930's, liked it here, and made it their home.
Don't try laying on the grass in Florida.

Anyway, this post isn't really responsive to your question, but a lot
of other people answered your question precisely, so I thought maybe
I'd persue this other avenue.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author: The Key to Everyday Excellence