On 14 Dec 2011, Rainer M Krug wrote:
> OK - I'll try to clarify.
> My requirements are:
> 1) have printed copies available for small target audience in SA. It
> is difficult to determine the number, as the target audience includes
> conservation managers, land owners and academics.
>
> 2) have a free electronic version available for readers who would
> prefer to have an electronic version or who just want to see if they
> would like to have a printed version.
>
> As I do not know the number of printed copies needed, I think that
> printing a certain number is a problem, as if more are needed, it
> becomes necessary to have again a larger number printed -
> organizational hassle.
> Therefore the idea of print-on-demand:
>
> a) post a bulk-order based on known readers who will buy the book
> b) possibility to place additional bulk order
> c) individual orders possible
>
> The electronic version is no problem - pdf, html, other ebook formats
> can be provided on website for download.
>
> I don't see a global market being interested in the printed version -
> global interest might be academic, but academics are usually OK with
> electronic versions, and if not, there is print-on-demand.
>
> I definitely see your point of local printing - and problems as you
> describe below would not be nice...

OK, I understand. I don't think Lulu would be the best way to go, for
reasons I posted earlier. As others on the list have said, I'd look for a
local printer who offers a good deal. Flexibility in the print run seems
to be a prime concern for you. I don't know about printers in SA; Antony
Rowe in Britain is good from that point of view, but shipping to SA
would no doubt be expensive so you should make inquries locally.

AC

--
Anthony Campbell - a...@acampbell.org.uk