I found that these work. I suggest using these in the Math mode font toolbar since the current approach leaves the cursor outside the insert text box

# insert in mathbf font or mathcal
\bind "C-M-b" "command-sequence math-insert \mathbf; char-backward" \bind "C-M-e" "command-sequence math-insert \mathcal; char-backward"

Bob