On 2012-06-23, Charlie wrote:
>  On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 19:25:47 -0400 "Steve Litt
>  sl...@troubleshooters.com" suggested this:

>>What's the correct way to write a poem in LyX?

> I probably don't do it the correct way. But it might help even though
> it's a kludgy way of doing it.

> After each line in the verse, I hold down the Ctrl key to keep the
> next line within reasonable distance of the one above.

> Between each verse I "don't" hold down the Ctrl key to get the space.

This is the "canonical way" to use the verse environment. Just like
address, it expects "hard" line breaks ("\\" in LaTeX) inside a stanza,
while [Enter] will start a new paragraph (a blank line in the LaTeX source)
which corresponds to a new stanza.

See also the "verse" package and its documentation:
http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/verse

Günter