Richard,

 so I will just be more cautious in future.

>>  This file is definitley corrupt. Here's the result of "hexdump -c | head
> -n 25":
>

> If you've had this problem more than once, you may want to think about
> whether you have a hardware problem that is corrupting your files.

It has happened occasionally before, maybe 3 or 4 times over the same
number of years. It's difficult to track, as its always the same  situation
lecture notes or a tutorial than has sat there for 8 to 12 months
untouched, and then I can't open it to revise for the current term.

Thinking about it the computer that probably produced this file is no
longer in use, but it wasn't corrupt when last used as I printed out the
PDF from it, so it has become corrupt sitting on my hard drive.

I am unaware of any other problems, so I suspect I will just need to wait
and see.

Thanks,

Graham