On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 8:13 AM, John Kane <jrkrid...@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> I was poking around the Zotero site trying to see if there was a way to
> get a specific APA citation format [Author (date)] which is easy enough in
> LyX or LaTeX to work in a word processor such as AOO Writer or MS Word[1].
> Well actually

I don't know if you are aware, but there is a project called Docear4word.
See http://www.docear.org/category/docear4word/ Now, I use LyX for writing
papers, along with JabRef, which uses BibTeX. If I had to use Word, though,
I would probably use Docear4word, because it also works nicely with JabRef.

> I was finding that Zotero inserts the citation in (Author, Date) format
> without allowing modifications as one can when inserting from a bibtex file
> and hoped to find a way to avoid having to go back and edit later if it
> could be done in a word processor.
>
> I found a discussion of exactly that issue on a Zotero forum and came
> across a reference to the American Psychology Association blog that, as far
> as I can see, is almost exclusively devoted to advice on how to deal with
> the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association. As they
> say, “The APA Style Blog is the official companion to the Publication
> Manual of the American Psychological Association, Sixth Edition”.
>
> I know, from personal experience, that everyone from undergraduates to
> tenured professors obsess over proper referencing but a blog?

Why not? I think things like this help people pull together and deal with
the difficult circumstances. You know, when they feel trapped. It sounds
sort of like an alcoholics anonymous group, but for academics in the social
sciences, who, for one reason or another, just can't stop using APA.

> Does anyone know of the existence of something like this for any other
> style manual?

I don't have the slightest idea of how many APA Manual users use LyX or
> LaTeX but I think it's very nice that LyX offers it. Well that's partially
> just me being selfish but a lack of the APA6 document class would be a
> complete deal-breaker for anyone wanting to use LyX. Oh, and while poking
> along I ran over a note that the Manual was being translated into Arabic,
> Simple Chinese, Italian, Nepalese, Polish, Romanian, Portuguese, and
> Spanish among other languages.

I agree, APA use is widespread,and it probably will not slowing down any
time soon. I think it will be best if we just try to learn to cope with it.

> 1. The answer was no, Zotero does not do this but there is a reasonable
> work around: Just type the Author part and insert the reference with author
> suppressed.

Jacob