On Sun, Sep 1, 2013 at 5:10 AM, Ken Springer <snowsh...@q.com> wrote:
> If I'm going to try out LyX in the end, would it be of any value to me to do
> a little experimenting with LaTeX and Tex first, or just jump in the pool?

LyX strives to offer an authoring environment that requires no (or
truly minimal) knowledge of LaTeX. In practice, however, rudimentary
LaTeX knowledge is always required when working with LyX, be it when
setting up your bibliography, understanding the UI structures,
inserting appropriate symbols or when dealing with unexpected
compilation errors.

I'd say that LyX works very well for novices to learn the basics of
LaTeX. Work on your document and see in View > Source how LyX prepares
the LaTeX code for you. So best would be not to worry about LaTeX too
much in the beginning; you'll pick it up on the way.

The most time-consuming part of learning LyX is making your first
document. So a good way to proceed would be to make your way through
the Introduction and the Tutorial (and maybe the LyX Essentials:
https://sites.google.com/site/tsewiki/resources/latex ), and then
start creating some not-very-important document. In the process you'll
start learning a lot of things LaTeX (and LyX).

Regards,
Liviu