On 09/02/2013 01:02 AM, Alan L Tyree wrote:
Ken Springer writes:

On 9/1/13 11:06 AM, Steve Litt wrote:
On Sun, 1 Sep 2013 08:29:23 +0200
Liviu Andronic <landronim...@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>

It sounds as if Lyx/LaTeX has a higher learning curve than I was hoping for.

But it intrigues me.   :-)  I've got some simple help documents I want
to create, and I want them to look as best as I can.  So, I think, in
about a month when I'm out of work again, I'll download LaTeX and work
with it, then get into LyX.
FWIW, I don't agree with this. You can become productive with LyX *very*
quickly without knowing anything about LaTeX. You can produce nice
looking standardised documents. It's magic.

Of course, you will eventually want to customise. THAT is the time to
start looking at LaTeX IMHO.

I agree. We have LyX developers who know almost no LaTeX, and who use LyX extensively
in their own work.

The question is exactly how much customization you want to do. If the standard classes work for you, and in many cases they will, then you do not need to know any LaTeX to use LyX. Even the unexpected compilation errors should be rare. These are usually due to precisely
the kind of customization you don't really have to do.

Richard