On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 12:56 PM, Murat Yildizoglu
<murat.yildizo...@u-bordeaux4.fr> wrote:

> Maybe I am missing something here, but I am against softwares that decide in
> place of the users. This is one of the reasons why I have never adopted MS
> programs.
>
> If latex accepts to build the file, lyx should accept to show the file built
> by latex. It is not its job to get on the way of the user.
> It is the user's job to decide which errors and warnings must be taken care
> of, not Lyx's one, in my opinion.

Hi Murat,

Warnings, yes. As for errors, I think things are a little more
complicated than "latex accepts to build the file". First, LaTeX makes
you press return many many times. It makes no attempts to make
compiling a pleasant experience if your LaTeX file contains an error.
Second, often there is a chain of commands that need to be run. e.g.
1. latex, 2. bibtex 3. latex. If there is an error at 2, yes there is
a pdf file still available, but this only happens because 1 produced
the pdf file without errors. If you run 3 then maybe it updates the
pdf file as it can because I don't think it is expecting that you
would dare to continue to 3 if 2 had errors. I don't think it's the
job of latex to check for bibtex errors.

I'm still open to other opinions on this, but not convinced yet.

Best,

Scott