On Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 8:12 AM, Liviu Andronic <landronim...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 10:53 PM, Scott Kostyshak <skost...@lyx.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 4:17 PM, Liviu Andronic <landronim...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> One idea would be to use a commandline utility that allows copying
>>> image files to the clipboard, and create a new converter from
>>> PDF(cropped) towards this utility. But so far I couldn't find anything
>>> for Linux, let alone cross-platform. Otherwise, I'm wondering if we
>>> have an LFUN that would provide this functionality. But I'm not sure
>>> how exactly that could work.
>>
>> Good idea Liviu. I recommend CopyQ if you want to implement this. It
>> works great on Linux, supposedly works on Windows, and support is
>> experimental on OS X 10.9+. The author of CopyQ is extremely
>> responsive to features and bug reports (he implemented a feature that
>> I'm pretty sure only I use, just for me). This is one of the best
>> clipboard managers out there (although note the focus is on features
>> over lightweight) but it is not well known.
>>
>> To put an image on the clipboard, you can do e.g.
>> copyq write image/svg - < image.svg
>>
> This looks very promising (although this is one seriously complicated
> clipboard manager).

Yes, it is heavy and more complicated. If you want a lightweight and
quick clipboard manager, this is not for you. If you want one that you
can do whatever you want with and have a little time to spend to learn
it, it should be considered.

> But I'm a bit lost as to how it works. Copy/paste
> text is a bit slow but works fine (v 2.0.1 on Xubuntu 12.04).

Strange. I do not notice the "bit slow". Perhaps I just got used to
it, but I don't remember that. Slow in what? After you type copy c you
see a pause? or after copy v? Or after one of the commands we're
talking about?

> But for
> images or pdf, I need to proceed as follows:
> copyq write image/png - < newfile2.png
> then I need to open CopyQ, select the item labeled 0, then hit the
> Move to Clipboard button.

Try copyq write image/png - < newfile2.png && copyq select 0

> Now ctrl+v in LyX will paste the image (but
> this doesn't seem to work in LibO, though).

LibO must not handle image/png (perhaps this should be requested of LibO).
LibO does seem to handle image/bmp

So do
convert newfile2.png convert newfile2.bmp
copyq write image/bmp - < newfile2.bmp && copyq select 0

Now it will paste into LibO.

By the way, how did I find out that bmp will work? I copied an image
in Chromium by right-clicking and going to "copy image".
I then tried to paste it in LibO. It worked. I opened up CopyQ (by
clicking on show/hide in the tray icon). I right-clicked on the
picture item (which should display as an actual picture) and clicked
on "Show Content". Then in the left column under "Formats" you will
see all of the MIME types. These are all of the types that LibO can
choose from when it receives a paste. I guessed that it went for the
bmp.

If you have any other questions, consider the CopyQ google group:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/copyq
It looks lonely there but that's just because no one is asking
questions. When someone does, Lukas is very quick.

Scott