Hi All,

Gordon asked me to draft up a version of my post on KeyRemap4Macbook, so I'm
posting a first draft.  Basically, this is keyboard remapping software that
automatically lets you use an embedded numeric keypad on the right side of the
keyboard by adding a press of the "Fn" key.  This also, incidentally, gives you
access to NumPad Commander custom key definitions in VoiceOver if you enable
NumPad Commander.  Additionally, you can use this software for regular keyboard
remapping both on your current keyboard, other external keyboard, and in a
virtual machine.

I'm limited as to what I can test -- I don't run Windows or VMWare Fusion, so I
haven't tried to remap PC keyboards.  Also, I'm not running Mountain Lion yet,
so although I know this will install under ML, I believe you're prompted to
bring up the context menu to run the GateKeeper authorization.  I can't give
explicit directions for this.

Please give feedback on the contents (which are rather long).  So far I haven't
heard whether anyone else has tried this.  I'll post the draft below my
signature.

Cheers,

Esther

--------
Getting NumPad and VoiceOver NumPad Commander functions on Mac Laptops

When Apple introduced NumPad Commander customizable keyboard shortcuts for
VoiceOver in Leopard (Mac OS X 10.5, October 2007) it followed up by almost
immediately removing embedded numeric keypads on its laptops, effectively
limiting full use of these shortcuts to the extended keyboards of desktop Macs.
 Here we outline how you can recover these capabilities by installing the
KeyRemap4MacBook application.  This also lets desktop map users access NumPad
and NumPad Commander functions when they are using the Apple Wireless Keyboard,
since the application works for all Macs, and not just the MacBook.

KeyRemap4MacBook (hereafter, KR4MB) is a keyboard remapper for the Mac that can
be freely downloaded from:
http://pqrs.org/macosx/keyremap4macbook/
This program, developed by Takayama Fumihiko, who maintains a Google Groups
mailing list for questions and support issues, is donationware (free to
download, but with the suggestion that you make a donation if you find it
useful). When the downloaded .dmg file is opened, and the installer is run, a
"KeyRemap4MacBook" preference pane is added to your System Preferences.

By default, when KR4MB is installed on your Mac, you can access the NumPad
using keys on the right side of your keyboard pressed in combination with the
"Fn" key.  Furthermore, if you have NumPad Commander enabled, you will be able
to execute the full range of NumPad Commander custom definitions, including
combinations with modifier keys such as Control, Command, Shift, etc.

The activated NumPad keys are identical to those of the embedded numeric
keypads in the old PowerPC laptops and the Intel MacBook and MacBook Pro
laptops manufactured before November 2007 and February 2008, respectively. The
number keys lie below the "7 8 9" keys in the top row of the keyboard, and form
a 3 by 3 block centered on the "i" key, which is number "5".  The "0" key is on
the bottom row, on the "m" key (i.e., just below the flagged "j" key which is
"1").

The layout of the full set of corresponding embedded NumPad keys, which
include numerical operators and the "clear" key, is presented below.  There are
18 embedded NumPad keys in four rows, with four keys in each of the three
bottom rows consisting of 3 number keys or separators (comma or decimal point),
followed by operator keys, similar to the regular numeric keypad. However, in
order to make up the complement of 18 keys, the top row of number keys contains
6 keys -- an extra key to the right and left of the basic group of four
comprised of the "clear" key (to the left) and the "equals" key (to the right).
You can check this for yourself at any time by turning on VoiceOver keyboard
help (VO-K), and pressing the the keys in question together with the "Fn" key.
So the keys you press, together with the "Fn" key, produce (row by row, regular
keys followed by their NumPad equivalents):

"6 7 8 9 0 -"    "clear 7 8 9 / ="
  "u i o p"            "4 5 6 *"
  "j k l ;"            "1 2 3 -"
  "m , . /"            "0 , . +"

As an example of usage of the regular NumPad, you can enter numbers in the
Calculator app by holding down the "Fn" key and pressing the embedded NumPad
keys for data and operations.  The "clear" key (Fn+6) can be used in this
application to clear the current entry.

NumPad Commander usage

If you have enabled NumPad Commander in VoiceOver Utility, any of the default
or customized definitions specified for numeric keypad shortcuts can be used.
Unlike the situation when you connect a separate external USB or Bluetooth
NumPad, all the modifier key combinations will be correctly recognized.  For
the "NumPad Zero" modifier key, you press Fn+m in addition to the other keys
for the embedded NumPad.

Note that while you can turn on NumPad Commander with VO-Clear using
Control+Option+Fn+6, once you turn it off with the same keyboard shortcut
combination you will either need to toggle VoiceOver off and on again to use
this shortcut again, or else you need to open VoiceOver Utility (VO-F8) and in
the "Commanders" menu (Command-8) navigate to the "NumPad" tab, and check the
box for "Enable NumPad Commander" to turn NumPad Commander on again.  The
reason behind this is that VoiceOver keyboard help announces the associated
action as "Toggle NumPad Commander On or Off, Turns NumPad Commander on or Off
if Numeric Keypad Exists".  Apparently once you turn NumPad Commander off this
way, VoiceOver considers that the embedded numeric keypad no longer exists, and
cannot be toggled on again with the Fn key combination.

A chart for the default NumPad Commander key definitions may be found using the
link at Apple's VoiceOver downloads page:
http://help.apple.com/voiceover/vo/en/VONumPad.html

Key Remapping with KR4MB

While the default action of KR4MB is to only add embedded NumPad functions when
the application is installed, there are many more key remapping options
available through its preference pane. You can also disable the NumPad hack, or
specify that your remapped key definitions don't apply to external keyboards,
internal keyboards, non-Apple keyboards, etc. By default, the keyboard
remapping applies to all keyboards you connect to your computer. So, for
example, if I use an Apple Wireless Keyboard through a Bluetooth connection,
the embedded NumPad keys will work with this.  Also, if I connect my MacBook
Pro to an iPhone via Bluetooth with the Type2Phone app (that lets you use your
Mac as a keyboard for typing on your iOS device), the remapped Fn key
combinations for entering numbers also work.

The main configuration items are on the "Change Key" tab that comes up by
default on the KR4MB preference pane.  There are two ways to find combinations
you might want among the very long list of options. The first is to use the
search box. If I type in "NumPad" and then navigate to the table of remapping
options and interact, there will an expanded entry for "General" and a checkbox
option for "Disable NumPad Hack".  Checking that box (VO-Space) effectively
turns off the embedded NumPad.  This also provides a clue that the "General"
category provides a list of most general purpose options.  In the remapping
table, using VO-Space to expand this first option shows you ways to limit which
keyboards will apply remapping. The search box shows you every command option
that involves your search term, which can be a very long list given the number
of options under each category, so for most searches to change keys, item
chooser menu will work better.

To remap specific keys, it is easier to use item chooser menu (VO-I) to find
the specific "Change" option you want to apply.  For example, if I want to
remap the right Command key to be a Control key, in order to have a set of "VO"
keys on either side of the space bar, using item chooser menu to search for
"Command" brings up two items: "Change Command_L Key (Left Command)" and
"Change Command_R Key (Right Command)" as unchecked check boxes.  Pressing
either VO-Space or "Return" on your selection moves your VoiceOver cursor to
this entry in the remapping table, and pressing VO-Space again to expand the
disclosure triangle will reveal the various remapping options. Since this is a
long list, it is again easier to use item chooser menu to filter your results.
Press VO-I and then type "control command".  (Note: I now type a space between
the two words to apply both to the item chooser search, instead of pausing
slightly after typing the first word.  You don't need to type the s
 econd word, but it will filter your results to a bit fewer entries.)  You'll
now see options like "Command_R to Control_L" as unchecked check boxes. Even
more interesting, there are options to only remap in a virtual machine, or only
in specific applications, such as X11 or Emacs.

To actually remap your key, press VO-Space or Return to navigate to the
remapping entry you want, such as "Command_R to Control_L", and then use
VO-Space again to check the box for this action.  Once you have made any
configuration changes, you can easily find the settings you have selected by
leaving the remapping table (stop interacting), and navigating back (VO-Left
arrow) to the "show embedded only" checkbox, and checking it (VO-Space).  If
you then navigate back to the remapping table and interact, only those item you
have checked within the different categories will be displayed, following their
expanded category name, and you can easily uncheck them. Remember to uncheck
the "show embedded only" checkbox again, so you can access the full range of
key remapping options.

Other useful categories to explore under the table on the "Change Key" tab may
be found using item chooser menu and typing "for".  The listed categories will
show items like "For Applications", "For PC users", "For Dvorak Users", and a
long list of country specific options like "For Canadian", "For French", "For
German", and "For Italian".

Expanding the "For Applications" category shows remap options that you can
enable only for VMWare Fusion virtual machines, or only in specific
applications, such as Terminal, Safari, Skype, etc.  The country specific
options handle things like using the comma in place of the period as the
delimiter for numbers.

One warning: you should not use KR4MB along with other key remapping software.
For VMWare Fusion users who use SharpKeys, for example, your key reassignments
make permanent changes to the registry file under Windows that will remain even
after uninstalling unless they are first undone.  Key remapping programs take
the key codes that are generated when you press a key, and change this to
another key code sequence.  Having multiple, conflicting, key definitions for
the same keys can only produce problems.

You may be able to use this if the keys being remapped do not conflict with any
other remapped key definitions, but this is something that requires testing.
You should simply be able to either check the box to "Disable NumPad Hack" and
uncheck the boxes for any key remaps that you have changed for KR4MB. In the
worst case, navigate to "the "Misc & Uninstall" tab of the KR4MB preference
pane, and select it with VO-Space.  Then uninstall the app by pressing the
button for "Launch Uninstaller".

For older versions of Mac OS X (Tiger and Leopard) there is a separate version
of the download software.  The NumPad hack is not enabled by default on the
preference pane for this version.

For additional information, check the links at the main KeyRemap4MacBook home
page:
http://pqrs.org/macosx/keyremap4macbook/

The developer also maintains a Google Groups forum for support questions.