I have had partial success on this based on this Stack Overllow post…
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10054252/trying-to-use-rhino-getenginebynamejavascript-returns-null-in-openjdk-7

I had updated my _40 era jdk build to a nice new 1.7.0_51-b13 which had
unfortunately done me no good.
So I added a
META-INF/services/javax.script.ScriptEngineFactory
to the JDK rt. jar

I had set up a standalone java engine lister that now shows…
java Engines
ScriptEngineFactory Info
        Factory class:class apple.applescript.AppleScriptEngineFactory
        Script Engine:AppleScriptEngine (1.1)

        Engine Alias: AppleScriptEngine
        Engine Alias: AppleScript
        Engine Alias: OSA
ScriptEngineFactory Info
        Factory class:class com.sun.script.javascript.RhinoScriptEngineFactory
        Script Engine:Mozilla Rhino (1.7 release 3 PRERELEASE)

        Engine Alias: js
        Engine Alias: rhino
        Engine Alias: JavaScript
        Engine Alias: javascript
        Engine Alias: ECMAScript
        Engine Alias: ecmascript

Unfortunately jrunscript still just shows…
runscript -q
Language ECMAScript 1.8 implemention "Mozilla Rhino" 1.7 release 3 PRERELEASE

maybe needs a reboot or something? I don't know yet but if it works from Java
it's good enough for my purposes.

So, this seems a bug. Why have the code and no way to discover it? Shouldn't
there be a change in the build process for this? Has it already been bug
reported?

Meanwhile, I was still thinking about grabbing the source and setting up
something on github with a dylib/jar pair that developers could add to their
projects
to get this scripting engine without hacking JDK/JRE's. Seem a reasonable idea?

I'm not sure if Robert Palmer and Alan Bateman somehow just missed out on this
problem or had a easier or better solution? If so I'd be interested in hearing
it.

Michael Hall

trz nio.2 for OS X http://www195.pair.com/mik3hall/index.html#trz

HalfPipe Java 6/7 shell app http://www195.pair.com/mik3hall/index.html#halfpipe

AppConverter convert Apple jvm to openjdk apps
http://www195.pair.com/mik3hall/index.html#appconverter