8u40 has made all webstart launched apps unusable (on a mac).
Seems to be a problem with the initial splash screen implementation
which borks everything afterwards. No focus, keyboard events, menu,
dock, cmd-tab, etc.

Probably the issue you are having. Is IntelliJ starting your app with
javaws command?

And, as a side note, absolutely mind blowing that Oracle released the
update with a bug so huge. Not even their own webstart demos are working.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/28904317/java-8u40-on-os-x-yosemite
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/28865399/osx-blocking-jnlp-launch-java1-8u40-anyone-know-why